15.6.07

NZ High Commissioner to Fiji expelled

Following tensions between Fiji and NZ since Fiji's coup last December, yesterday, Michael Green, the NZ High Commissioner to Fiji, was expelled. Today, a NZ journalist in Fiji has been deported.

I don't know the ins and outs of high level politics, but I know that's not good. I know it's very serious. I know that later today I have to explain this to 14 Lincoln CF students who are scheduled to travel to Fiji for a short-term missions trip tomorrow.

I'm concerned that they may not realise the gravity of the situation, and that they're used to a Kiwi passport being looked upon favourably around the world. But, it seems, the worst nationality to be right now in Fiji is Kiwi. As they'll be spending time in the capital Suva, it may be worth considering post-poning the trip. The NZ government has upgraded the risk on www.safetravel.govt.nz overnight and is considering doing so again today. I fear that the 14 will be too excited about the 'experience' of going and not concerned enough for their own safety and God's glory. This is a short-term missions trip and the most benefit is to the 14 going, not to the Fijians who will host them. I pray I'm wrong in my initial assessment of the 14 - I'll find out later today when I meet them all for lunch during their last preparations. The missions agency say that safety is paramount but that the trip is still on. They, and I, will continue to monitor the news today.

Details on the breaking news are here:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4095334a10.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4095504a10.html

No comments: